One of easy to cook yet super tasty Persian dishes is Lubia Polo, also known as green bean rice. Persian lubia Polo is a complete meal packed with fiber, carbohydrates and protein. It takes you only an hour to cook this delicious Iranian rice and so can be a great dinner choice for busy working days.
Ingredient needed to make Lubia Polo include
500g green beans
½ kilogram lamb,beef cubes or ground beef meat
2 diced and sauteed onions
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 1/2 cups long-grain basmati rice
Salt, turmeric & pepper
Lubia Polo Recipe
Lubia Polo is cooked in three steps: preparing the green bean and meat mixture, cooking the basmati rice in a separate pot and finally mix and steam the rice and mixture together for half an hour in the same pot.
Let’s start with green beans!
- Wash the green beans and remove the ends of them carefully. Now use a knife to chop the green beans to small pieces of 1-inch tall.
- Add the chopped beans to diced and sauteed onions that you prepared in advance and fry them together to make the beans soft.
- Now it’s time for your protein to be added to the onion and beans mixture. You should cook the meat till it turns brown.
- Now add the spices and tomato paste to your mixture to make a memorable flavor and color.
- Cover the whole ingredients with 2 cups of boiling water and combine them well.
- Leave it 20 minutes to be well-cooked. Meanwhile, you need to prepare the rice!
Step 2 is about preparing Basmati rice
7. In order to make rice the Persian way, Persian food tour blog post can be a detailed guideline, so check it first! But if you’re looking for a quick recipe here it is:
- Pouring the washed rice into a pot of boiling water with 1 tbsp of salt.
- Cooking it for 8 minutes until long and soft rice grains come to the surface of water.
- Draining and rinsing the rice with cool water to get more fluffy rice.
And the last step is waiting for you!
8. Put a pot in the oven, add oil and pour the ⅓ of your cooked rice. Cover the rice layer with ½ your green beans and meat mixture.
Then repeat this procedure by building new layers of rice and mixture. Finish it with rice and shape it like a pyramid with a spoon. Cover the pot and let it steam for 30-40 minutes on low heat.
Appropriate Persian side dishes to serve with Lubia Polo
Salad-e Shirazi is the best choice that you can prepare as a piece of cake! But don’t forget yogurt if you aim to set a real Persian table for your beloveds!