With the implementation of Iran’s National Mobile Registry Plan back in October 2017, all new mobile phones must now be registered to be eligible for use in Iran. Foreign tourists visiting the country can use Iranian SIM Cards on their phones, however, you need to register your phone if you are going to stay more than 30 days.
The 30 days would start from the first time you put the local SIM Card on your phone. That being said, your phone will stop working 30 days after it is turned on for the first time with an Iranian SIM Card. This means even if you stay in Iran for less than a month and plan to come back later and use the same phone, you can’t use it.
If you’re among travelers who plan to use your mobile phone for more than 30 days or if you are traveling to Iran for a second time with the same cell phone, you must register your phone and pay a registration fee which is estimated based on the model and ROM of your mobile, and the official exchange rate of dollar, published by the Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
In order to register your phone online you need:
- Your phone’s IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) – A 15 digit number that you can find in the phone’s box or on the phone settings under “Phone status-IMEI information” OR get by dialing *#06#
- The sim card phone number you bought in Iran(purchased with your own passport ) – a code will be sent to your phone number in order to proceed with the registration
- Your passport number and your visa extension code (the 16 digit code that comes with your visa extension document)
- TAP Persia Tourist card or any other Iranian bank card to pay the fee
Online Mobile Registration Step by Step Instructions
- Go to the Islamic Republic of Iran customs administration (IRICA) website by clicking on the link below: https://epl.irica.gov.ir/ImeiRegister
- Enter your phone’s IMEI 1 (code) in the field
(If your phone has two IMEI codes (two sim cards), click on + sign to see the second field; where you are supposed to enter your phone’s IMEI 2 )
3. Click on the orange button to go on to the second page where you must enter your device’s type (تلفن همراه), brand, model and technical specifications, one after another, in the following fields:
4. Click on the orange button on the left to switch into a new page where you must enter nationality, phone number, the 16-digit code given to each foreign visitor on their visa extension document and passport number, one after another, in the following fields:
5. Click on the orange button entitled “ادامه” meaning next to go on to the next page
6. Fill the new field with a 4-letter security code that will be sent to the phone number you entered immediately:
7. Click on the orange button entitled “ادامه” on the left to go next
8. Click on the green ” پرداخت ” button to pay the registration fee which has been calculated for your phone
9. Enter the 5-digit security code in the field
10. Enter your bank card field (included your 16-digit card number, your second passcode or online passcode which can be obtained from your bank ATM, cvv2 written on your card and expiration date of your card), click on the green button and finish the payment
11. Click on green button to finalize the payment and go on to the next page
12. Congratulations! You successfully paid the registration fee for your cell phone
13. Now you should wait for the activation code that would be sent on your cell phone by Hamta Platform, within 3 to 7 days
14. After receiving your activation code, you have 2 options; using Hamta USSD code (recommended) or visiting Hamta website
14-a. For using USSD option, dial *7777# and press call button
14-b. Enter 2 (Activation- فعالسازی) and press send
14-c. Enter your 15-digit IMEI code and press send
14-d. Enter your phone number and press send
14-e. Enter the activation code that was sent to you via SMS by Hamta Platform
14-f. In this stage, a confirmation window will appear with your IMEI code and phone number. To confirm, enter 1 and press send
14-g. In the last stage you will receive a message stating that the activation has been completed successfully
NOW your phone is registered and you can use it with no limits!
15. Second Option is to use Hamta website
15-a. Select the phone method and enter your phone number.
15-b. Enter the verification code that is sent to your phone number. Use the help of a Persian friend to enter the security code (the code is written in Persian).
15-c. Click on the second option on the right side menu on the screen, labeled “فعال سازی تلفن همراه” (Activating mobile phone).
15-d. In the first and second fields, enter your phone number. The device IMEI goes in third field and the fourth field is for the activation code sent to you form Customs and Administrations website after your payment.
15-e. In this stage, a confirmation windows will appear with your IMEI code, phone number & device information. Click “تایید” (confirm) if the information is correct.
15-f. Registration has been done successfully and you will soon receive a text message stating that your phone is registered.